Position: Professor in Agronomy and Field Crops
Work Address: Institute of Life Sciences, Piazza Martiri della Libertà 33
Research Activities: – Alternative (low-input and organic) cropping systems: effects on crop production, soil fertility, gross margin, energy efficiency, environmental impact.
Country: Italy Fields of Expertise: Agronomy
- Optimization of cropping systems through an agro-ecological approach (genetic, specific and habitat diversity).
- Organic farming: integrated management of nutrient and weeds (via green manure crops). Non-chemical weed management (preventive, cultural and direct – mechanical and thermal – weed control). Identification of wheat cultivars with higher competitive ability against weeds.
- Interdisciplinary studies on functional biodiversity in agro-ecosystems: functional values of wild vegetation, interactions between wild vegetation, insect populations (pests and beneficials) and agro-ecosystem structure (planned biodiversity, field margin complex) in integrated and organic farming across different spatial and temporal scales. Interactions between crop, wild vegetation and mycorrhizae.
- Development of indicators of sustainability for agro-ecosystems assessment in organic farming.
- Weed ecology: comparison of weed vegetation (population and community) dynamics in conventional, low-input and organic cropping systems and in different crop management systems (soil tillage, N fertilization, cover crops).
, Ecosystem function
, Farming systems
, Pest and disease management