Coping with Climate Change: How are Indigenous Peoples and Rural Communities Using Agrobiodiversity?
May 10th, 2010
The Platform for Agrobiodiversity Research (PAR) will take place during the Fourteenth meeting of the Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice (SBSTTA 14) of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) from 10 to 21 May 2010 at UNEP in Nairobi, Kenya.
PAR will hold a Side Event on “Coping with Climate Change: How are Indigenous Peoples and Rural Communities Using Agrobiodiversity” on Tuesday, 18 May 2010 from 13.15 to 14.45 in room CR-3 Lower Floor at UNEP in Nairobi. A scrumptious lunch featuring local Kenyan agrobiodiversity will be served to participants.
Speakers include: Joseph Ole-Simel, MPIDO (Mainyoito Pastoralist Integrated Development Organization), Kenya; Yator Kiptum, Sengwer Indigenous Development Project, Kenya; Maria Mayer de Scurrah, CIP (Centro International de la Papa/ International Potato Center), Peru; Saoudata Aboubacrine, Association Tin Hinan, Burkina Faso; Taghi Farvar, WAMIP (World Alliance of Mobile Indigenous Peoples), Iran; Paul Bordoni, Platform for Agrobiodiversity Research (PAR), Italy.
The side event will provide an opportunity for representatives of indigenous groups and rural communities to discuss their experiences related to the use of agrobiodiversity, its role in how to best contribute to adaptation and mitigation. The event will also help stimulate interactions between scientists and farmers. A publication describing the findings of this work will be released at SBSTTA 14 in Nairobi.
- The Case of Sengwer Indigenous Peoples (Kenya) – Yator Kiptum
- Mobile indigenous people and climate change: an opportunity in crisis – Taghi Farvar
- How are indigenous peoples and rural communities using agrobiodiversity to adapt? – Saoudata Aboucrine
- Agrobiodiversity as a coping strategy in the face of climate change: Lessons from rural farming communities of Kitui, Kenya – Patrick Maundu
- Pastoralist mobility in adapting to climate change – Nicolas Soikan
- Coping with Climate Change: How are Indigenous Peoples and Rural Communities Using Agrobiodiversity to Adapt - Paul Bordoni
- How Andean Farmers manage their diversity with special reference to potato - Maria Scurrah and Stef de Haan
Andean farmers managing potato diversity uploaded by Maria Scurrah